|PTV commuter rail station|
Fitzroy North, Victoria 3068
City of Yarra
|Operated by||Metro Trains|
|Distance||7.54 kilometres from|
|Fare zone||Myki Zone 1|
|Website||Public Transport Victoria|
|Opened||1 January 1927|
|Electrified||July 1921 (1500 V DC overhead)|
Named after a nearby street, itself possibly named after a housing development in 1869, Rushall was also a station on the former Inner Circle line, which operated between Clifton Hill and Royal Park until July 1948.
Rushall is located next to the Merri Creek, and is connected to Westgarth by a narrow, 80-metre-long footbridge for pedestrians and cyclists, crossing the Merri Creek as part of the Merri Creek Trail.
On 6 February 2016, whilst operating a Flinders Street service, and negotiating the tightest curve on the metropolitan railway system, a trailer carriage of an X'Trapolis train derailed 100m north of the station, resulting in one injury. The line reopened the next day.
On 10 February 2016, another derailment, involving railway track machines, occurred near Rushall. That derailment resulted in buses replacing trains between Clifton Hill and Bell for much of 11 February. The line partially reopened for evening peak-hour commuters later that day.
Melbourne indie band Underground Lovers wrote a song named Rushall Station, about the quietness of the site, which then became the title track for an album. The station is also mentioned in Marcel Borrack's song Ruthven to Rushall.
In October 2016, Melbourne electronic music producer Arcadic released a single named after the station, titled Rushall. The artwork depicted Merri Creek, taken from the window of a train departing Rushall station.
Platforms and services
- Flinders Street all stations and limited express services to
- Mernda all stations services to
- 250 : Queen Street (Melbourne CBD) – La Trobe University Bundoora campus
- 251 : Queen Street (Melbourne CBD) – Northland Shopping Centre
Merri Creek footbridge, which connects the station to the Merri Creek Trail and nearby Westgarth, in November 2004
South-east bound view from Platform 2 in October 2005
- Estimated Annual Patronage by Network Segment Financial Year 2005-2006 to 2018-19 Department of Transport
- Railway station and tram stop patronage in Victoria for 2008-2021 Philip Mallis
- Annual metropolitan train station patronage (station entries) Data Vic
- "Rushall". vicsig.net. Retrieved 4 February 2023.
- "Fitzroy North". Victorian Places. Retrieved 4 February 2023.
- Whitelaw, Anna (7 February 2016). "South Morang train derails in Fitzroy North". The Age. Retrieved 3 January 2022.
- Carey, Adam (11 February 2016). "Metro's second derailment at Rushall in one week forces commuters onto buses". The Age. Retrieved 3 January 2022.
- Songs About Melbourne - Fitzroy Australia by Song
- "Rushall, by arcadic". arcadic. Retrieved 28 August 2017.
- "Mernda Line". Public Transport Victoria.
- "250 City (Queen St) - La Trobe University". Public Transport Victoria.
- "251 City (Queen St) - Northland SC". Public Transport Victoria.